I've always held strong views. Some of them extreme, some not so much. However for about 10 years I didn't vote in the lower house of parliament in any of the jurisdictions in which I lived. I generally took the ballot paper, wrote something hilarious like grand moff tarkin on it, and put it in the box. I didn't do this from feelings of apathy, but because of feelings of futility. I didn't feel represented by either of the major parties and felt that their main priority was getting elected, and representing the best interests of the people was secondary. You may think that representing the majority of peoples interest is what gets one elected. This is incorrect, appearing to represent the majority of the electorate gets one elected.
Now, I do vote. Even though for all intents and purposes none of those issues have changed for the better. Why?
I think for perspective it is important to look at the first election I remember voting in. It was federal, and included the republic referendum. I don't know if there has ever been a referendum where the yes lobby did such a successful job of getting a no vote. Muddying the water about what kind of republic we want. And why this was a bad republic. And so, all these years later, the queen is still our head of state. I would suggest she will be for the rest of her reign. I guess this became a theme for me in looking at all politics. It just seemed to be extremely negative. Focussed on what the other side would get wrong, not what your side would get right. The concept of an 'opposition' troubles me too. Couldn't we come up with a less confrontational name. The very name makes it impossible for bipartisanship on any issue, as that makes the opposition seem weak for not opposing any and every proposal. I've been thinking about this stuff a lot recently, because I thought a minority government would be a legitimate opportunity for cooperation, but it certainly hasn't been. It's been the most confrontational parliament I remember in my lifetime.
So what was the point of this post? How to give your vote meaning.
1. Don't vote the way people tell you that you 'should'. Read, watch, listen.Question things. Research. If everything a party says points one way, except one statement that points another, ask why? Don't trust one source of media. I find the easiest way to go is to read the extreme left and extreme right points of view, and just to assume the truth lies somewhere in the middle. Also, decide what is important to you. Find out which party is going to best represent these views. Look at the independents standing in your area, as they are usually more locally focussed than any of the parties. Don't just look at the vibe of a party, look at their policies. And decide who best represents you.
2. Vote for whomever you want. People say a vote for the minor parties or an independent is wasted. Bullshit. If you think they best represent you, vote for them. Tell your friends and family that you intend to, and why they should too. Great change will not be bought about by just voting in the same two sides over and over again and expecting different results.
3. Your preferences are just that, yours. Throw who to vote cards in the bin. If you want to vote Green first and Liberal second, that is your right. If you want to vote Labour as your first preference and Liberal as your second, that is your choice. Number every box below the line on your senate paper. Render shady preference dealing meaningless. Take back your vote from the system that is trying to steal it.
4. Think. That is the most important thing. Always think.
I think that is all for now, but it is an election year, so expect more boring political ranting.
Now, I do vote. Even though for all intents and purposes none of those issues have changed for the better. Why?
I think for perspective it is important to look at the first election I remember voting in. It was federal, and included the republic referendum. I don't know if there has ever been a referendum where the yes lobby did such a successful job of getting a no vote. Muddying the water about what kind of republic we want. And why this was a bad republic. And so, all these years later, the queen is still our head of state. I would suggest she will be for the rest of her reign. I guess this became a theme for me in looking at all politics. It just seemed to be extremely negative. Focussed on what the other side would get wrong, not what your side would get right. The concept of an 'opposition' troubles me too. Couldn't we come up with a less confrontational name. The very name makes it impossible for bipartisanship on any issue, as that makes the opposition seem weak for not opposing any and every proposal. I've been thinking about this stuff a lot recently, because I thought a minority government would be a legitimate opportunity for cooperation, but it certainly hasn't been. It's been the most confrontational parliament I remember in my lifetime.
So what was the point of this post? How to give your vote meaning.
1. Don't vote the way people tell you that you 'should'. Read, watch, listen.Question things. Research. If everything a party says points one way, except one statement that points another, ask why? Don't trust one source of media. I find the easiest way to go is to read the extreme left and extreme right points of view, and just to assume the truth lies somewhere in the middle. Also, decide what is important to you. Find out which party is going to best represent these views. Look at the independents standing in your area, as they are usually more locally focussed than any of the parties. Don't just look at the vibe of a party, look at their policies. And decide who best represents you.
2. Vote for whomever you want. People say a vote for the minor parties or an independent is wasted. Bullshit. If you think they best represent you, vote for them. Tell your friends and family that you intend to, and why they should too. Great change will not be bought about by just voting in the same two sides over and over again and expecting different results.
3. Your preferences are just that, yours. Throw who to vote cards in the bin. If you want to vote Green first and Liberal second, that is your right. If you want to vote Labour as your first preference and Liberal as your second, that is your choice. Number every box below the line on your senate paper. Render shady preference dealing meaningless. Take back your vote from the system that is trying to steal it.
4. Think. That is the most important thing. Always think.
I think that is all for now, but it is an election year, so expect more boring political ranting.
Comments
Post a Comment